PSHE Curriculum Intent
At Stillness Infant School, we believe that Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education is an important and necessary part of all children’s education, which encompasses many areas of study. Fundamentally, our PHSE curriculum will equip children with a sound understanding of risk and with the knowledge and skills necessary to make safe and informed decisions.
- Through looking at examples of our school values and British values in everyday life, the children will learn about what it means to make a tangible, positive contribution to school life and the wider community. The children learn to be motivated and persistent in the face of difficulties.
- We teach the children about rights and responsibilities so that they appreciate and celebrate what it means to be a member of a diverse community where commonalities are identified and celebrated and differences are valued and nurtured.
- The children are taught to understand how they are developing personally and socially, tackling many of the moral, social and cultural issues that are part of growing up. The PHSE curriculum is adapted to meet the needs of all children, including disadvantaged children, children with SEND or EAL, giving them the sequenced, progressive lessons they need to be able to develop personally.
- We teach the children the vocabulary they will need to express their feelings and opinions in a positive way through our Values Based Education approach.
- Through the broad experiences we give the children they learn about risk, challenge and decision making.
Our teaching in PHSE will be age appropriate for our young children, using story reading as a key strategy and contributes to our focus on reading.